For centuries, people have used wrought iron fences to divide their properties and keep unwanted intruders out. In the early days, they were mostly found in rural settings like farms and plantations. But as time passed and cities grew, so too did the need for this type of fencing.
Today, wrought iron fences are still in demand because they are sturdy and relatively affordable. Plus, they can be custom-made to fit a variety of spaces. From old ranch homes to modern factories, wrought iron fences can make a statement about the owner’s taste. However, it is important for buyers to know how wrought iron is made before making an investment like this one.
Types of Wrought Iron Fences?
- Steel – Steel is the most popular and most common material used in wrought iron fences. The reason is because steel can form into a variety of designs. It includes “ladder”, “wrought”, “box”, or even chain link.
- Aluminum – Aluminum is a relatively newer material when it comes to wrought iron fencing because it wasn’t that long ago that it was even an option. Wrought aluminum is actually stronger than steel, but similar in price so consumers can make an informed decision on what they want for their property.
- Lead – Lead is one of the least common materials used in wrought iron fencing, but that doesn’t equate to it being cheaply constructed. In reality, it is the opposite because lead fences are beautiful and long lasting. However, just like aluminum, lead is a newer option for wrought iron fences.
- Composite – Composite, also known as PVC or vinyl, provides homeowners with a great looking fence at an affordable price. While some people may be turned off by the price and not want to pay for this type of fence, it is worth it because composite fences can last a long time.
- Cast Iron – Cast iron is very common in fences from the past, but it has been put back by steel and aluminum in modern days. However, that doesn’t mean that cast iron isn’t still a great option for creating your own wrought iron fence.
Benefits of Wrought Iron Fences
- Wrought iron fencing is extremely durable – The most common material used in wrought iron fencing is steel. This means that wrought iron fences are extremely durable. They can withstand the elements and last a long time. Patches of rust can be easily remove, unlike aluminum and lead.
- Wrought Iron Fences are beautiful – Old wrought iron fences were well-made, but they were not necessarily aesthetically pleasing like today’s aluminum or composite fences are. Today, both new and old fences look great and can be chosen by color. Most of them will last a long time if properly taken care of.
- Wrought iron fencing gives you the chance to express yourself – Wrought iron fencing allows homeowners to express themselves in a variety of ways. For example, some people prefer wrought iron “ladders” over regular boxes or traditional designs because it’s a little more unique and it gives their property some character.
- Wrought iron fencing can be customized – Aluminum and composite are cheaper options for wrought iron fences, but that doesn’t mean that it doesn’t give you the chance to customize your own fence. For example, many people choose aluminum or composite because they are more inexpensive. However, if you want a more personalized look, you can choose wrought iron to match the color and design of your home.
- Wrought iron fences are an impressive addition to any property – Wrought iron fencing is a great addition to any home because it can make it appear more luxurious. Plus, a wrought iron fence can add its own sense of space and privacy.
- Wrought iron fences are attractive to most people – The simple truth is that most people admire wrought iron fencing in their properties. Young homeowners like how they look because they are more sturdy and able to withstand the elements better than aluminum or composite fences.
How Long a Wrought Iron Fence Last?
Wrought iron fences will last as long as you take care of them. That is the main benefit that they have over aluminum and composite. They are incredibly sturdy and are able to withstand the elements much better than any other type of fence. However, in order to make your fence last, it needs to be maintained properly. This includes sweeping off leaves and debris because they can get lodge between the bars and cause rusting if they don’t dry out quickly.
Maintenance and Repair
- Painting Is Important For Your Fence – If you want your fence to look great and last a long time, painting it every couple of years is essential. Wrought iron needs rust-proof paint to prevent the bars from rusting.
- Fixing Small Issues Can Prevent Bigger Ones – Fences need occasional repairs, but you don’t need to call a contractor for every small issue that pops up. That’s because small patches of rust can spread quickly if not treated immediately. However, if you wait for the rust to get worse, you risk damaging the entire fence.
- Keep The Fence Dry – It’s essential that your wrought iron fence be kept dry because any water can cause rust. Do not leave any standing water in your fence and make sure that it always looks nice and clean. The small patches of rust will eventually spread.
- Keep The Fence Clear – Keeping your fence clear can also help prevent rust from forming. For example, landscaping around your wrought iron fence is a great way to increase the value of your home. However, landscaping can get extremely close to your fence and cause water pooling and eventually rusting if not taken care of at least once a week.
- Don’t Leave It Exposed To The Elements – If you want your wrought iron fence to last a long time, it cannot be left exposed to the elements. It needs to be kept covered at all times, whether you are in temperatures that are either extremely hot or cold. If not, the elements can cause rust to form very quickly.
- Even The Smaller Issues Can Be Preventable – When it comes to fixing small issues on your wrought iron fence. You don’t need a professional contractor every time one forms. For example, if a small section of your fence has rusted. It’s possible for you to apply an iron primer and then use an iron paint on top of that.
How much does it cost?
Cost varies depending on the type and size of iron fencing that you buy. For small iron fencing, it can be very inexpensive. For example, wrought iron fencing is around $12 to $18 per foot, while aluminum fencing is usually between $15 to $20 per foot. Composite fences tend to cost more because they are more durable than their aluminum and wrought iron counterparts.
When budgeting a fence, determining how much it should cost can be difficult. Thing to remember is that you want your iron fencing to last a very long time.
Iron fences are considered to be the best option for fencing. As they are durable and they can last a very long time. They do rust and require treatment in order to keep them looking good. However, with regular maintenance and care, you can have a fence that you will love for years to come.